Image Map

Magnetic Sensory Jars

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SparklySavings #CollectiveBias 
Is dinner clean up one of the more stressful times for those of you who have young kids or is it just me? My toddler loves to "help" in the kitchen. This includes climbing inside of the dishwasher while I'm trying to load it, getting all of the tupperware out of the cabinet, and demanding that I hold her while attempting to clean up.  So, I wanted to come up with something in the kitchen that would keep her occupied for even 2 minutes. I've seen sensory jars around on Pinterest and decided to come up with a way to make some magnetic ones to stick on the fridge or dishwasher for her to play with. The verdict: she LOVES them!


I had the opportunity to try out some new Finish dishwasher detergent. I was excited to try it because the particular one I chose is called Quantum™ Power & Free™ and it uses less harsh chemicals than typical detergents that are safer for kids. (If you stay tuned to the end of the post, there is a coupon for you to grab so that you can try it for yourself!) So while I was trying out the new detergent and cleaning up, I put my new magnets out and decided to see if they would help distract Pearl for a few minutes. It worked! My 6 and 4 year old love the sensory jar magnets as well.

Here's how I made them!
I found some magnetic spice tins at Michaels for $1.50 each! For the first magnet, you just need corn syrup and beads or marbles. 
 The beads stay on top, so you've gotta push them down.
 They will be suspended in the liquid after you push them down.
 Then, I just used some gorilla glue to attach the top lid.  The end result is so cool because there will be a bubble in the liquid which slowly moves the beads around as the kids turn it. It's almost like a lava lamp!
 The other jar I made is an "I Spy" jar. I used sprinkles, but you could also use rice. You will also need to collect a few random small items. I used some buttons, a penny, a random earring, a charm and I tiny clothespin.
 Just pour everything in and attach the lid using gorilla glue like the other one.  As the kids turn the jar, they can try to search for all of the tiny things hidden inside.  Pearl (my 18 month old) also loves to shake it and listen to the sound it makes.
 These are so fun and I have 2 more empty spice tins waiting to make more!
And if you are wondering, I haven't had any issues with the corn syrup leaking out yet. 
I did try to make a third jar with water, but the water did leak out...but no issues with the syrup!  
And now for your coupon that I promised! Definitely pick some up next time you are at Walmart. It's such a great option to have a cleaner free of harsh chemicals!

  

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin